B.A., Hamilton College; M.Div., Union Theological Seminary (New York); Pastorates: Associate Pastor, Grace United Methodist Church in Valley Stream, NY; Protestant Chaplain, Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY; S.T.M., Yale Divinity School, 2002; Ph.D., Yale University, 2009; Lecturer, Yale Divinity School, 2010; Visiting Assistant Professor, Colby College, 2010-2012; Adjunct Professor: Fordham University, Andover Newton Theological School, Fairfield University, New York Theological Seminary (teaching at Sing Sing Prison), 2012-14; Faculty Fellow, Colby College, 2014-15; Assistant Professor of Old Testament, Trinity Lutheran Seminary 2015 - .
Areas of Expertise
- Hebrew Bible
- Children in the Bible
- Feminist interpretation of biblical texts
- Ancient near Eastern languages and cultures
recent academic PUBLICATIONS
- "My So Called Biblical Life: Imagined Stories from the World's Best-Selling Book. Editor and Contributing Writer. Foreword by Mark Allan Powell. Eugene, Or.: Wipf and Stock, 2017.
- "Children in the Hebrew Bible." In Oxford Bibliographies in Biblical Studies. Ed. Christopher Matthews. New York: Oxford University Press (2016).
- "Children in Biblical Narrative and Childist Biblical Interpretation." With Kathleen Gallagher-Elkins. Pages 422-433 in Oxford Handbook of Biblical Narrative. New York:Oxford University Press (2016).
- Book Review of, The Days of Our Years: A Lexical Semantic Study of the Life Cycle in Biblical Israel by Milton Eng. Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies 464. New York: T & T Clark, 2011. Review of Biblical Literature 6 (2016).
- "Embrace the Bible's Children: A Call to Seminarians, Pastors, and Scholars." Trinity Seminary Review 35 (2016): 11-22.
- Book review, The Power of Children: The Construction of Christian Families in the Greco-Roman World by Margaret Y. MacDonald. Waco, Tex.: Baylor University Press, 2014. Review of Biblical Literature 2 (2016).
- “Remembering the Dismembered: Piecing Together Meaning from Stories of Women and Body Parts in Ancient Near Eastern Literature,” Biblical Interpretation 23 (2015): 174-190.
- Book review, Give Me Children or I Shall Die: Children and Communal Survival in Biblical Literature by Laurel W. Koepf-Taylor. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2013. Catholic Biblical Quarterly 77.1 (2015): 141-42.
- Book review, Children in the Bible: A Fresh Approach by Anne Richards. London: SPCK, 2013. Theology 118.1-2 (2015): 41.
- “Children in the Hebrew Bible” in Bible Odyssey series of the Society of Biblical Literature (first published 2014) http://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/passages/related-articles/children-in-the-hebrew-bible
- Valuable and Vulnerable: Children in the Hebrew Bible, Especially the Elisha Cycle. Brown Judaic Study Series 355; Providence, RI: Brown University, 2013.
- “Blaming Eve Alone: Translation, Omission, and Implications of immah in Genesis 3:6b.” Journal of Biblical Literature 132.4 (2013): 729-47.
- “QUEENS and Other Female Characters: Feminist Interpretations of Kings.” Pages 135-149 in Feminist Interpretation of the Hebrew Bible in Retrospect. Volume 1: Biblical Books. Edited by Susanne Scholz. Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2013.
- “Child, Children.” Pages 83-84 in Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception 5: Charisma – Czaczkes. Edited by Dale C. Allison, Jr. et al. Berlin/Boston: De Gruyter, 2012.
- Book review, Women’s Lives in Biblical Times by Jennie R. Ebeling. London: T & T Clark, 2010. Interpretation 65.3 (2011): 304-5.
- “You Are a Bible Child: Exploring the Lives of Children and Mothers through the Elisha Cycle.” Pages 59-69 in Women in the Biblical World: A Survey of Old and New Testament Perspectives. Edited by Elizabeth A. McCabe. Lanham, Md.: University Press of America, 2009.
- “Women Warriors and Devoted Daughters: The Powerful Young Woman in Ugaritic Narrative Poetry.” Ugarit-Forschungen 38 (2008): 557-75.
- Book review, Esther by Linda M. Day. Abingdon Old Testament Commentaries. Nashville: Abingdon, 2005. Horizons in Biblical Theology 29 (2007): 235-36.
Ecclesiastical and Educational Publications:
- “Preaching with the Enemy.” Pages 143-49 in Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil: Stories about the Challenges of Young Pastors. Edited by James Ellis. Macon, Ga.: Smyth & Helwys, 2015.
- “A Fabulous Relationship and How to Have One” in Orientation, Nashville: General Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry (2005).
- “A Burning Bush? A Heavenly Voice? Discerning God’s Call in Your Life” in Orientation, Nashville: General Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry (2004).
- “The Secret of Shalom” in Orientation, Nashville: General Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry (200).
- “Sermon Starters” in The Circuit Rider, United Methodist Church (September/October 2002).
- “When Good News Is Scarce,” in The Living Pulpit, January 2002.
- Everything You Need to Know about Decision-Making. New York: Rosen Publishing Group, 1996. Revised 1998.
- High Performance through Leadership. New York: Rosen Publishing Group, 1996.
- Everything You Need to Know about Living in a Shelter. New York: Rosen Publishing Group, 1995.
- Careers for Women as Clergy. New York: Rosen Publishing Group, 1993.
- “Cristo, fuerza viviente de la mujer en Centroamérica,” in Teología desde la mujer en Centroamérica. San José, Costa Rica, 1989.