Associate Professor of Worship and Christian Spirituality
B.A., Gustavas Adolphus College, 1985; M.Div., Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, 1990; Ph.D., Graduate Theological Union, 2001; Pastorate, Readlyn, IA, 1990-93; Interim Pastorate, Charles City, IA, 1993-94; Adjunct Professor/Lecturer, Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary, 1997-2001, 2003-05; Adjunct Professor, Santa Clara University, 2002-05; Research Scholar, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2001-05; Assistant Professor of Worship and Christian Spirituality, Trinity, 2005-10; Associate Professor of Worship and Christian Spirituality, 2010-.
Areas of Expertise
- Theology and Spirituality of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Lutheran Spirituality
- Practices of Contemplative Prayer
- Worship and the Arts Religion
- Ecological Spirituality and Liturgy
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, volume 8 (Widerstand und Ergebung [Letters and Papers from Prison]), Fortress Press, in process - one of four on translation team
- Conspiracy and Imprisonment: 1940-1945. Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, volume 16, ed. Mark Brocker. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, June 2006. Sole translator.
- "The Genre of Gender: Gender and the Academic Study of Christian Spirituality." In Exploring Christian Spirituality: Essays in Honor of Sandra M. Schneiders, IHM, ed. Bruce H. Lescher and Elizabeth Liebert, SNJM, 98-118. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 2006
- Truly Present: Practicing Prayer in the Liturgy. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress Publishers, 2005.
- Educating Clergy: Teaching Practices and the Pastoral Imagination, with Charles Foster et al. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- "Reading from the Underside of Selfhood: Bonhoeffer and Spiritual Formation." In Minding the Spirit: The Study of Christian Spirituality, ed. Elizabeth A. Dreyer and Mark S. Burrows, 249-66. Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2004.
- Review of Geffrey B. Kelly and F. Burton Nelson, The Cost of Moral Leadership: The Spirituality of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. In Spiritus: A Journal of Christian Spirituality 4/2 (Fall 2004): 239-41.
- "Bonhoeffer and Resistance to Evil." Journal of Lutheran Ethics (online journal), July 2003. [Available online]
- "Probing the Will of God: Bonhoeffer and Discernment." Dialog 41/1 (Spring 2002): 42-49.
- "Reading from the Underside of Selfhood: Bonhoeffer and Spiritual Formation." Spiritus: A Journal of Christian Spirituality, I/2 (Fall 2001): 186-203.
- "Teaching Christian Spirituality in Seminaries Today" (with Arthur Holder). Christian Spirituality Bulletin 7 (Fall/Winter 1999): 9-12.
- "Spirituality in Lutheran Perspective: Much to Offer, Much to Learn." Word and World 18 (Winter 1998): 68-75.
Articles in The Lutheran
- "Bonhoeffer: The Call of Discipleship" (February 2006): 15-18
- "We Do Not Know What to Do, But Our Eyes Are on Thee': Bonhoeffer and Discernment" (April 2005): 25-29
- "A Passionate Journey" (March 2005): page 6
- "Playing and Dancing with Children: Hopes for the Church of the Future" (September 2003): page 6
- "Incarnation" (December 2000): page 25
- "Why did God create us in the First Place?" (June 2000): page 19 [Available online]