Robert and Phyllis Leatherman Professor of New Testament
What is true of the testimonies we find in the Bible is true also of our own experiences. As we share our faith stories and listen to the faith stories of others... We come to understand our own experience of God better, and we come to recognize new possibilities for the life of faith.
--Mark Allan Powell
B.A., Texas Lutheran College, 1975; M.Div., Trinity Lutheran Seminary, 1980; Ph.D., Union Theological Seminary, VA, 1988; Pastorates: Pasadena, TX, 1980-84; Richmond, VA, 1984-86; Assistant Professor of New Testament, Trinity, 1987-92; Director of Continuing Education and Post-Graduate Studies, Trinity, 1989-92; Associate Professor of New Testament, Trinity, 1992-97; Robert and Phyllis Leatherman Professor of New Testament, Trinity, 1998-.
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Catholic Biblical Association
- Gospel Music Association
- Introduction to the New Testament (college textbook). Grand Rapids: Baker Academic. 2007 or 2008
- What Do They Hear? How to Bridge the Gap Between Preacher and Congregation. Nashville: Abingdon, 2006.
- Giving to God: The Good News of Biblical Stewardship. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2005.
- Loving Jesus. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2004.
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music. Boston: Hendrickson, 2002.
- Chasing the Eastern Star: Adventures in Biblical Reader-Response Criticism. Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press, 2001.
- Matthew. The Harper-Collins Bible Commentary Series. San Francisco: Harper-Collins, 2000.
- Who Do You Say That I Am? Essays on New Testament Christology. With David R. Bauer. Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1999.
- The New Testament Today. Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1999.
- The Jesus Debate: Modern Historians Investigate the Life of Christ. Oxford: Lion Publishing Co., 1999 (European edition of 1998 work).
- Mark: God's Grace in Action. Leader's Guide. Inspire Series. Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1998.
- Mark: God's Grace in Action, Participant Book. Inspire Series. Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1998.
- Jesus As A Figure in History: How Modern Historians View the Man from Galilee. Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1998.
- A Fortress Introduction to...The Gospels. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1998.
- Epiphany, Proclamation 6--Series B. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1996.
- Treasures New and Old: Essays on the Gospel of Matthew. With David R. Bauer. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1996.
- God With Us: Toward a Pastoral Theology of Matthew's Gospel. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1995.
- What Is Narrative Criticism? A New Approach to the Bible (British edition of 1990 work, with foreword by N.T. Wright). London: SPCK, 1993.
- The Bible and Modern Literacy Criticism: A Critical Assessment and Annotated Bibliography. New York: Greenwood Press, 1992.
- Advent/Christmas. Proclamation 5--Series A. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1992.
- What Are They Saying About Acts? New York: Paulist Press, 1991.
- Witness to The Word: Mission 90 Bible Study/Witness. Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1991. Editor and co-author.
- What Is Narrative Criticism? Guides to Biblical Scholarship Series. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1990.
- What Are They Saying About Luke? New York: Paulist Press, 1989.